Saturday, June 11, 2011

More of the Little Things

Ever notice that it's really the little things in life?  The little things that make you smile...or laugh...or sigh...or just wanna punch someone in the face?

"I've figured out what you do that annoys me..." my husband begins the conversation with.  Immediately my radar went up, and I must've given "the look" because he proceeded very slowly with, "Well...we're supposed to be communicating, right?  You've asked me if there's anything you do that annoys me...I've figured it out!"

I had to admit, I HAD asked that question.  "Okay, what do I do that's SO annoying?  Go ahead, bring it."

"You move the shower head...EVERY TIME YOU TAKE A SHOWER!"

Oh.  Is that all?  Goodness, I was slightly worried there for a minute.  I breathed a sigh of relief and proceeded with, "Okaaay...and why does that annoy you?"

After he explained that he liked to have some room in the shower where there was no water steadily pelting, I in turn explained that a woman needed to shave her legs, and without me moving the shower head, there would be no easy way to do so. 

Ah.  We both understood.  And that was that.

But I got to thinking about that.  Such a small thing.  Yet, when I came home from work late one night last week and my husband had unloaded the dishwasher for me already...that was a small thing...but it meant a LOT.  Or when I was in the middle of blowing my hair dry earlier today and he stopped what he was doing and pulled the clothes out of the dryer...so they wouldn't wrinkle.  That was little...but not really.  Or the time I mentioned that I needed to weed our flower beds, and the next thing I knew, he had done it for me.

I got a LOT of advice right before I got married.  Some was actually very good advice...some I wouldn't repeat, even to a person whom I wanted to see miserably fail for whatever reason.  But the one thing I had a lot of people tell me was this: always pay attention to the little things.

This is true for marriage, but you know what?  I'm pretty sure it's true for life in general.

Yeah, the big things are the big things.  But the little things can make or break us.  It's the straw that broke the camel's back, right?  Not the load he had been hired to carry.

So.  I'm thinking little.  In the best way possible.

1 comment:

  1. This is very nice. One thing we tend to overlook are the little things that have to be done anyway. Things that we do without thinking about it. How nice it is when someone take initiative and does them without asking. And even if it is "their job" it is still nice that it gets done. When we don't notice the nice little things, we stop appreciating what we have. we stop appreciating that person we love. And when they are no longer with us, you wish you had noticed the little things more than you did. You wish you could tell them how great it was that they did them for you.

    ReplyDelete