Monday, June 13, 2011

Ah, the Finer Things in Life - The Keurig

Every once in a while, I read a book, see a photo or even watch a movie that makes me think for a second, "Wow, I was born into the wrong time period."  Does that happen to anyone else?  Oh, to be one of the lovely sisters in "Sense and Sensibility", to dress in the fashions of medieval times, or even be present while history was unfolding during huge world events!

Who the heck am I kidding.  I am SO born into the right time period, let me tell you.  To illustrate this point, I thought I'd do a few posts on the modern conveniences that I've discovered, and enjoy on a daily basis.  If you're looking for things to add to your Christmas list, here they are, and they are highly recommended!

I'm going to start with our Keurig, which was indeed a wonderful Christmas gift from my in-laws! 

For hundreds of years, making a cup of coffee was a simple process. Roasted and ground coffee beans were placed in a pot or pan, to which hot water was added, followed by attachment of a lid to commence the infusion process. Throughout the 19th and even the early 20th centuries, it was considered adequate to add ground coffee to hot water in a pot or pan, boil it until it smelled right, and pour the brew into a cup.


The first modern method for making coffee—drip brewing—is more than 125 years old, and its design had changed little. The biggin, originating in France ca. 1800, was a two-level pot holding coffee in an upper compartment into which water was poured, to drain through holes in the bottom of the compartment into the coffee pot below. Around the same time, a French inventor developed the "pumping percolator", in which boiling water in a bottom chamber forces itself up a tube and then trickles (percolates) through the ground coffee back into the bottom chamber.

That's all well and good, and, don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for every advancement ever made in the world of coffee and beans and anything caffeine-related.  Fantastic, I say.  However, I also have to say that this Keurig is the most wonderful advancement of all.

There is no worrying over trying to keep the glass coffee pot clean of stains.  No troubles when you have too much coffee and have to pour some out.  No issues relating to forgetting to turn off the coffee pot and said pot burning or exploding.  And no more fighting over what kind of coffee will be made on any particular morning!

Anytime you're in the mood for one of the more than 200 varieties of coffee, tea, hot cocoa or iced beverage, you simply select your "K-Cup", open the lid, place the cup inside, close the lid, select the size cup you would like to brew, and push the "Brew" button.  In under a minute, folks, you've got the perfect beverage!

I think it's true, we DO live in a very fast-paced world full of people who want everything right this second, and they want it their way alone.  Yeah, it's true.  But I also believe you can turn some of the fast-paced modern conveniences around into a nice cup of coffee on the patio.

Click Here to Visit the Keurig Website!


My favorite indulgence!





No comments:

Post a Comment