Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Ahhh, the Finer Thing in Life - The Automatic Soap Dispenser

Someone purchased an automatic soap dispenser for us as a wedding gift.  Now, I had indeed seen the automatic soap dispensers while we were registering at Bed, Bath & Beyond, but it seemed to me one of those items that, if it was placed on a registry, would cause a great deal of amusement among gift-givers.  (Especially those who know what a germ-o-phob I am.)  So I left that off...but thought it was an intriguing idea, nonetheless.

When we opened said automatic soap dispenser, I was quite enthusiastic!  Someone had read my mind!  Designed for touch-free operation, which helps prevent the spread of germs, this dispenser autotmatically senses your hand and releases soap!  (Or lotion...but who needs an automatic lotion dispenser?  Ours is used for soap.)

You may say, "Who needs an automatic soap dispenser?"  I sumbit that EVERYONE does!

Ours is in the kitchen, which happens to be the room in my house that I probably spend the most time in.  I previously had a lovely pump bottle of Bath & Body Works soap in the kitchen for quick and easy hand-cleaning, next to the bottle of Sun used for quick dish scrubbing.  However, away went the Bath & Body Works soap to make room for this lovely new dispenser.

When the thing really comes in handy is when I've been patting out hamburgers (which at our house is normally raw meat infused with strawberry jalepeno sauce), or rolling and flattening balls of peanut butter cookie dough, or even slicing onions or raw chicken.  The last thing I want to do when my bare hands are covered in mess is try to pump some soap out with my elbow.  In fact, I have previously shot the pump soap across the sink and into a pot of boiling water when trying to pump with my elbow.  But that's another story for another day, my friends.

Now, all I do is wave my hand over the sensor, and the perfect amount of soap is smoothly dispensed into my filthy palm.  I can easily flick on the water via elbow, and presto zamo!  Clean hands in seconds, with no harsh side effects...or pots of boiled soap.

As much as I do enjoy this automatic soap dispenser, I also must admit that I have to keep an eye on the thing.  I had shut it off the other day in order to wipe it down with a Clorox wipe in the midst of my cleaning, and suddenly, it shot a thick stream of soap out.  My eyes followed it to the floor...the floor that I had JUST cleaned, and I said to myself, "I thought I turned this off?"  I glanced at it, just in time to see that it was indeed off...and to watch another stream of soap coat the front of my microwave.

By the time I had actually opened the cover and yanked out one of the batteries to make the dang thing quit, I was covered in soap, there was soap on the floor, the microwave, the stove, the cabinet, and, oh yes, all in the pan I was about to place a yummy applewood smoked roast in.

Right now I'm back on good terms with the automatic soap dispenser.  I think the benefits outweigh the negatives at this point.  We'll see how long that lasts.  Either way, it's still better than boiled soap for dinner.

Click Here to View/Purchase the Automatic Soap Dispenser!

No comments:

Post a Comment